Old 11-05-2008, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek[_4_] Derek[_4_] is offline

Default Flamegun weedkiller - Sheen X300

"Jim" wrote in message
Thanks Dave and Martin for responses.
UPDATE

Not sure that the bits will get hot enough hot over a barbie. I'd expect
to find a little indentation or spoon to hold about a table spoon full of
meths some where near the jet/coiled pipe.

Light the meths and when it's almost all burnt turn on the valve slowly,
the burning meths should ignite the vapour.

You way runs the very real risk of either have a jet of hot(ish) liquid
parafin or clouds of vapour (whumpf!) or something inbetween (20' flame
thrower).

I've just taken it apart and cleaned it.
Not in bad nick.
I find a wick laying around the coil and jet.
As such, I guess the technique is to soak the wick in meths, ignite
the wick, then proceed after the meths is about gone.

Cleanliness points noted re jet and paraffin quality.
I've just poked around in the jet with a paper clip.

I'll give it a go tomorrow.
If OK, it's a good 20 pounds worth - they sell for ~145 online !

Cheers,
Jim

Unless methodology has changed since the days of pressure blowtorches you
should soak the wick in paraffin not meths a slow burn is needed to heat the
coil to raise the temperature of the paraffin beyond its flash point meths
tends to burn too quickly heating the surrounding air and does not need a
wick this is the type which uses meths poured into the dish below.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P7tmQH9KtWM

Derek