Old 11-05-2008, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Spiders

On May 11, 2:42*pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,Des Higgins writes:

| On May 11, 12:16=A0pm, "Wally" wrote:
|
| And can I hope that they will eat the flies and
| bugs that live off my vegetables?
|
| Wolf spiders (genus Pardosa from Lycosidae) are small (body about
| small or medium finger nail size) and dark and run around. *They catch
| prey on foot so to speak and you seem them all over when the soil is
| open. *They run very fast and the females often carry bags of eggs
| attached to their rear ends. *You do not get them much indoors.

The ones in my childhood were body about walnut size, and you did get
them indoors. *Scary but harmless - unlike the snakes and scorpions!

I take it from this, you were brought up in a zoo or Australia?
It is very hard to have a sensible conversation about venomous animals
with Australians in the room. They are apt to interject with
statements like:
"the ones back home are the size of a dog and will take your leg off
clean at the knee as soon as they look at you."
Comparing Irish Spiders to Oz ones is like comparing a packet of
crisps to 5 courses in a double Michelin Star restaurant.