Old 11-05-2008, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Default raised beds and what to use for edging?

On 6 May, 20:43, herbgarden wrote:
Hi all,

I've tried to read the FAQ's before posting but all the ones I tried
returned a page not found?

So... *We have a large untouched for years garden that we want to
gradually reclaim by fencing off a bit at a time (to keep the
neighbour out!) *and we'd like to put in raised beds. *BUT ... what
sort of stuff do you use for an organic garden? *Plastic (listening to
the news about babies bottles today none to keen on that one)or
treated wood, or untreated wood?

Sue.
Who is confused and liable to remain so for some considerable time as
she tackles one garden issue after another.

I used nothing, see the photo on page one of these pics.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/rodsgarden/Rod's plot01/page1.htm
You'll see the 2 older beds I inherited have wood edging, now falling
apart after only a few years like Janet's. Since those photos I've
made a small very posh one using 2ft square x 1 3/4" thick concrete
flags set on edge with the bottom edge dug into the clay subsoil by
about 9-12". That's in an area where there was no soil and I had to
build the whole thing on top of the clay subsoil - expensive but worth
it for a much wanted high value crop, soft fruit in my case.
The edgeless beds need tidying up every spring to keep them in shape
and perching my enviromesh carrot cages on them is a bit awkward but
otherwise no particular problems, so unless you've got money to burn
(and time) I wouldn't bother.