Old 11-05-2008, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default coverage for arches.

"Sheila" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Sheila" wrote in message
We have just bought three arches for our large garden, two we have tied
together, 6'3 tall, and beyond that, about 20 feet is another wider,
but shorter one. Both are on lawn but just behind them is open ground,
so no problem re planting there. any suggestions about climbers, and
colour? that part of the garden is colourless (apart from various shades
of green!) so any colours considered. I would like to have as much
growth as possible, for coverage... and NO Russian vine please! You
can observe the smaller arch through the two tied together.

We have just done the same thing with a couple of arches to hide the shed
from the house and to make a feature leading to a garden seat.

You can see it in the pictures http://www.myalbum.com/Album=C6IPPFVR

Now has a Climbing Rose 'Open Arms Rambler', Clematis Mary Rose and a
Honeysuckle for starters.

Also got Pink Morning Glory coming on for this year

Hope that helps :-))

Mike

thanks for the lovely pictures,I'll send some when mine established!
thanks for the ideas too.

The second picture in this set http://www.myalbum.com/Album=KZMK73TA shows
what the arch is. 2 Arches with an equal gap between them, covered in black
plastic coated chicken wire to ensure a true 'arch' when everything is
growing over.

You can see the first of the climbers 'nipping' up the outside :-)

Will post pictures when it is covered :-)

Mike