Old 05-04-2003, 04:58 PM
Essjay001

Default law on boundaries ?

bigjon scribbled:
I would think the neighbour has dammaged this tree even though he has not
killed it. He is not allowed to do that. Given that he is obviously not a
very friendly neighbour Sue him.

Steve R

Our rear garden backs onto the one opposite. We had a lovely young (
12ft ) Snake Bark Maple in the centre of the back border. Our
wonderful neighbour took it upon himself to trim all the growth over
all his fences, including the leading shoot of our tree, which was
slightly leaning over his fence ( about 10 degrees, and not casting
any shadow, over his 12 x 6 shed roof ). This has reduced the tree to
an upright trunk of about 6 feet and a top branch of about 6 ft that
leans dramatically back into our garden at about 45 degrees. My
questions - was he legally allowed to basically destroy a healthy
tree in this way, as it did not cause any real problem to him, and
should I remove the top branch to allow another to become the lead ?