Old 12-05-2008, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
MrMe MrMe is offline

Default Swiss Chard bolting : Still edible ?

On Sun, 11 May 2008 17:38:16 -0400, MrMe wrote:

My swiss chard has bolted some time ago. The stalks are about
3 foot tall. I am hoping to gather some seeds from it for next
planting.

My question is: Can we continue to eat it..? Will it still be
palatable ? I've heard that some plants become more bitter
when this happens.

= Me =

Thanks David. I'll give 'em a try. In fact I felt like a fool for
asking before I tried some of the chard this evening. I felt
for sure someone would reply with "Why not try them for
yourself before posting". So I did. I didn't notice anything
different about it at all. Still good as ever.

I love the Swiss Chard stalks. This particular crop was planted
last spring and grew over the winter. Due to the cold weather
it did not grow so much in the leaf, but the stocks grew in
width. Some of the stocks were close to 3 inches wide by the
time spring of this year rolled around. And then the leaves
caught up in growth. And now some of it is 3 feet tall and
have an abundance of green flowers at the top. I'm hoping
to get some seed (corms) from them. I planted more just
before winter and will be chowing on it soon. BTW, it is growing
here in North Carolina. Mild winters, hot summers.

Do you know anything about gathering them corms David ?

Thanks again,

= Me =