Old 05-04-2003, 05:08 PM
GrlIntrpted

Default Help!!! Bulbophyllum playing King of the Hill...

I grow four bulbophyllums, Daisy Chain, Vaginatum, Lasicilum and Makoyanum.
I got them about two months ago while on vacation in Hawaii. The vaginatum
was sulking for a bit but eventually recovered. With the exception of the
makoyanum they all grow in different ways. The daisy chain is in a wooden
basket suspended in my bathroom where it's getting defused light and the
roots are covered (very very loosely) with sphagnum moss. The vaginatum is
mounted on a piece of pine , the roots are wrapped in sphangum moss as
well. The lasicilum is mounted on cork with the roots loosely covered with
sphagnum. All are in the bathroom and are suspended on chains that are
hooked to the ceiling. I mist them all twice a day, they get western
difused exposure, the rest of the moisture comes from the family using the
facility. In two months since I've brought them home, they grew into their
new media and are displaying new growth all over including crazy hair like
roots! Chet from Wilks Orchid in Hawaii told me that bulbophyllums will
grow out of control and out of their pots (if you grow them in pots), and
that it isn't anything to be alarmed about, and that to get a bulb to behave
is quite unreasonable . BTW- the fourth bulb the makoyanum is in a 3"
extra deep clay pot, with no potting media at all, this is how I brought it
from Hawaii where it was grown that way. The roots have filled the pot and
the plant has grown out of the pot and all around the clay! Now lets see if
I can make them flower

Good luck to you,
Mariana