Old 12-05-2008, 08:54 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,rec.gardens,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.irish
Salahoona Salahoona is offline

Default Lack Of Trees In Irish And British Countrysides

On May 11, 3:03 pm, jl wrote:
In article , Féachadóir

Féach@d.óir wrote:
Irish agriculture was much more pastoral than arable, which may have
meant we held on to forest for longer.

Not sure about that. Goats and sheep can devastate a landscape because no
new shoots get the chance to grow and young trees are quickly nibbled to
death.

Jochen

--

Limavady and the Roe Valley

My experience too. I had a small herd of goats when I was a teenager
and let them into the orchard to eat the grass. After a week, they had
eaten the bark off the trees. It was such a disaster that I didn't
even get into trouble. Goats are the most contrary animal I have ever
known.

Donal