Old 12-05-2008, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wanted a very large, almost decadently beautiful, clematis.

In article , says...

In article ,
Janet Tweedy writes:

| I had a "henryi", but it died :-( That comes close. As does
| "The President", which is an extreme purple.
|
| I once had a lonicera henryi which was the most boring plant i have ever
| owned, no fragrance and horrible small brown colour flowers.

I have owned much more boring ones, but I eventually dug mine up and
gave it away.

| Hope it wasn't named after the same plant breeder as the clematis!

It probably was :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

It was indeed but he did not breed either plant but was a plant
collector, I gather its rather the luck of the draw when one is honoured
by having a plant species named after one, you could end up with
something beautiful or a weed!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk