Old 12-05-2008, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Spiders

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| | Of course, the Little Englanders who get paranoid about even the most
| | harmless creatures (such as vipers and lynx) are beyond hope.
| |
| | Vipers I can understand.
|
| Why? They are less of a risk to humans in the UK than bumblebees
| or mice.
|
| What risks are there from mice???

Try infection :-)

| And how many times have you been stung by a bumble bee? I'd moved and kept
| many bombus nests and never been stung.

Several times a year. I tread on them in bare feet - poor things.
I have no problems picking them up in my bare hands when they get
trapped indoors, of course.

| It's not the being scared that is the issue, it is the becoming
| paranoid. We desperately need lynx in England to deal with the
| harm caused by uncontrolled deer.
|
| Guns are enough. That way people can enjoy the meat.

You also need people who are capable of stalking them, shooting safely,
willing to put the time in, and allowed to do so. Those used to be
common characteristics, and are now very rare.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.