Old 12-05-2008, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default raised beds and what to use for edging?

Adam wrote:

herbgarden wrote:
Hi all,

I've tried to read the FAQ's before posting but all the ones I tried
returned a page not found?

So... We have a large untouched for years garden that we want to
gradually reclaim by fencing off a bit at a time (to keep the
neighbour out!) and we'd like to put in raised beds. BUT ... what
sort of stuff do you use for an organic garden? Plastic (listening to
the news about babies bottles today none to keen on that one)or
treated wood, or untreated wood?

Sue.
Who is confused and liable to remain so for some considerable time as
she tackles one garden issue after another.

We've just had a raised bed put in, edged with old railway sleepers. It
looks great, although it's not raised by very much. If you want it
raised by more than the height of a railway sleeper, you'll need several
stacked on top of each other.

We just built our own, I looked at railway sleepers and decided that
they were firstly too big and secondly overpriced for what they were.

Instead I bought lengths of tanalised 50x150mm timber (that's 2" x 6"
for the metrically challenged). Enough for a raised bed ten metres
long by a bit less than a metre wide cost about £120, much less than
sleepers for the same size bed would have cost. It's screwed together
and has a couple of braces to prevent the sides being pushed apart.

--
Chris Green