Old 12-05-2008, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Anti Slug and Snail Experiment

In article ,
says...
On Sat, 10 May 2008 12:55:18 -0700, "Val"
wrote:

~
~"'Mike'" wrote in message
~news ~ Following postings about slugs and snails and copper wire etc., I am
~ performing some experiments which gardeners, (that does not include me, I
~ am a non gardener, 'her outdoors' is the gardener) might like to follow.
~
~ The Cathodic/Electrolytic Action experiment with two dissimilar metals
~ round a pot may follow later.
~
~ Mike
~
~Many years ago (about 30+) I read about copper deflecting the onslaught of
~slugs. It so happened soon after reading this tidbit of information I
~spotted a box of copper tape on the counter of my company 'store' while I
~was getting spare fuses for my truck. I asked the fellow what it was for. He
~had no idea nor who ordered it. We paved roads. He said if I wanted it I
~could have it. Whoopie! Two dozen lovely 100ft rolls of 2 inch wide copper
~'tape'.

I bought some adhesive copper tape from the Organic Garden Catalogue
and have stuck it round the potting shed window to stop them getting
in, and also around the large pot of my main hosta plant.

Sadly they don't seem to be stopped by it - keep having to remove
snails from under the pot rim daily... have to admit I was rather
disappointed. I'm just hoping that some are discouraged and I don't
have lace for hosta leaves in a month... but I'm glad I didn't buy
slug rings - much more expensive and it would have been really
annoying to find they don't work!

jane

Chiltern Hills, 140m above sea level.

It may be worth hitting them with a liquid slug killer now the barriers
are up as there will be lots living on the inside :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk