Old 12-05-2008, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flamegun weedkiller - Sheen X300

On May 12, 11:46 am, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 12 May 2008 03:36:52 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On May 12, 12:23 am, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 11 May 2008 23:32:47 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"

wrote:
On Sun, 11 May 2008 18:08:08 +0200, Martin wrote:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Br1ZPJ8oQxY&NR=1

Got it lit nicely but you don't need to charcoal the plants like he did
just waft it over. The blast of heat will do enough damage to the plant
cells for them to wilt and die back in a day or two. Even our tiddly gas
powered flame gun just needs a waft over let alone a brute like an X300.

It looked like he was in EXTERMINATE mode.
--

Martin

LOL I have heard from someone who used to have one in England, that
the weeds whose roots were under, say, a patio, came back as only the
top layer was burnt.

I've read the same thing here. I have no personal experience of using a flame
gun. I did look up the mix for making napalm but thought urg was an
inappropriate place to post it )

The gardener of the household found horses tails at the allotment, that had
survived more than a year of having the ground where they grew covered with
dense black plastic.
--

Martin

Your gardener will find, as I did in England, it takes napalm to get
rid of it. I took up the plants in the affected bed, which adjoined a
field, trampled it with hob nailed boots, actually gold ones, and
broke the tough outer covering of the "tail". I mixed a little
detergent with the glycostuff, most were killed but I had to do second
and third applications on others bits. Unfortunately the field was
covered in it so it was only a matter of time before it encroached
again. I wanted, before Contracts were exchanged, to dig up a young
shrub that Sacha gave me to bring it to France. I dare not in case
the dreaded weed came with it. I will buy one in France to replace
the one that Sacha gave me.

Judith