Old 12-05-2008, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Aphids and soapy spray

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article
,
"Cat(h)" writes:

| Interesting link, thanks Des. I notice they mention a list of
chemical
| insecticides but surprisingly don't mention the substantially cheaper
| and less toxic method I used. I would have thought the RHS would be
more
| supportive of such approaches.
|
| They talk of "fatty acids". Isn't that the active ingredient in soap?

Yes.

The reason that they don't mention it is that our Lords and Masters
in Whitehall have made it illegal to use detergent and methylated
spirits, and imposed extra restrictions on horticultural soaps
(such as Savona). A conspiracy theorist would suspect that was
done in arrangement with the agrichemical companies.

Well, that's not exactly true. It's not permitted to use any preparation
which isn't licensed and soapy water and meths etc. haven't been licensed. I
doubt that one would be banged up for using such things but it is illegal to
unlicensed sell soapy water as a treatment for pests.

Mary