Old 12-05-2008, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default ideas please

On May 9, 2:37*pm, "mart99" wrote:
I have 4 beds(6feet by 10) edged with 9 inch high buxus,they have had roses
in for many years but the roses are past thier best and we fancy a change
but we are unsure what to change to. Any suggetions would be appreciated. A
few more facts :

sandy soil
south facing aspect in full sun
would like a centre piece in each bed and suroounding planting ?

thanks for reading

Whatever about the centre piece, in my local town's centre, there is a
beautiful georgian house with a very formal front garden with low
buxus hedging in a criss cross pattern which is particularly lovely.
The gardener grows two different lavenders in it, and in Autumn (I
think, if memory serves) he has lines of agapanthus coming through.
There might be another few things in the bed, but whatever they are,
the colour scheme is green/blue/lavender. The rest of the front
garden is in manicured lawn in between the criss-crossing buxus, and
an edged pale gold coloured gravel path going from the old front gate
to the grand-ish front door steps. I'm always admiring just how
appropriate for the house the front garden is, and just how beautiful!

Anyway, when I first read your post, I thought, if it were me, I'd put
lots of attractive herbs.

Cat(h)