Old 05-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Pam

Default Sick Japanese Maple Tree

Andrew Tan wrote:

Pam,

A new question regarding the maple and the sun. I have an unfortunate
luck of having my garden facing the sunset every day. Can you tell me
which caltivar of Japanese Maple will be better at facing afternoon
sun ? Thankx heeps.

Andrew

There are lots of J. maples that tend to be more tolerant of a late sun
location, certainly the straight species (Acer palmatum) and its
redleafed cousin, Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum'. Most of the disectums
(laceleaf cultivars) can adapt to this location although you may
experience some scorching in their first couple of years. They outgrow it
quickly as they become acclimatized. The following link will provide a
good listing of others:
http://www.lakesnursery.com/page19.html

The ones you definitely want to avoid are those with variegation or very
golden foliage. Just make sure to keep the trees well watered through the
summer heat.

pam - gardengal