Old 12-05-2008, 11:08 PM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Hello there,

I'm new here and a total gardening novice, so please forgive my ineptitude. I've heard people talk about scattering seeds and then flowers growing up from them. I have some overgrown grass in my garden that I would prefer to be some wild flowers and have a spare packet of wild flowers that includes field cornflowers, field poppies, ox-eye daisies, cowslip and foxglove.

If I were to sprinkle these seeds around the grass, is there any chance that they would grow/flourish? Would it help if I mowed the grass first? Or would I have to disturb the soil first/remove the grass/go through the normal seed growing routine?

I live in Buckinghamshire and like the rest of England, it is insanely sunny at the moment

Thanks for any feedback!
It is absolutely pointless to try and scatter seed in overgrown grass. If you want to scatter these seeds, you will have to clear the grass, prepare the soil and then scatter them.

Prince Charles discovered this at Highgrove, where he tried growing wild flowers along the drive.