Old 12-05-2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Swiss Chard bolting : Still edible ?

"MrMe" wrote in message
news

Actually 3' - 4'. How tall was yourn when the flowers set ?

About 5' on average.

Do the
flowers stay green or do they open with petals etc. at some point ?

There's a proper inflorescence.

In what state/climate do you ( and S. Chard ) reside ?

I don't live in a state (except of chaos!), I live in Yorkshire, England.

And how old are
they at 6' .?

A few months, I've sown the seed in early summer and harvested the greens
and stems, they've stood through the winter than in spring they bolt.

I grow 'rainbow' chard, i.e. there are many different coloured stems. I love
the flavour, Spouse tolerates it. But he agrees that the colours are so
beautiful that they're worth having in the agrden. I haven't sown any this
year because we're short of room. We only have a small garden and one of the
veg plots has been turned into a soft fruit cage this year so I only have
three small patches dedicated to vegetables.

Mary

Mary