Old 12-05-2008, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Scattering Seeds - Will this work?

On Mon, 12 May 2008 19:38:50 +0100, Flash
wrote:

Hello there,

I'm new here and a total gardening novice, so please forgive my
ineptitude. I've heard people talk about scattering seeds and then
flowers growing up from them. I have some overgrown grass in my garden
that I would prefer to be some wild flowers and have a spare packet of
wild flowers that includes field cornflowers, field poppies, ox-eye
daisies, cowslip and foxglove.

If I were to sprinkle these seeds around the grass, is there any chance
that they would grow/flourish? Would it help if I mowed the grass first?
Or would I have to disturb the soil first/remove the grass/go through
the normal seed growing routine?

I live in Buckinghamshire and like the rest of England, it is insanely
sunny at the moment

Thanks for any feedback!

If you just scatter them in the grass they don't stand much chance.
One method of starting a wildflower meadow is to grow the plants on a
bare patch of soil, or in pots, cut the grass, remove circles of turf
and plant the wildflowers in the circles of earth. That gives the
wildflowers a chance to establish. The soil does not need
fertilising.

Pam in Bristol