Old 13-05-2008, 06:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Recipe for an herb garden

In article
,
Ablang wrote:

Sage

(Salvia officinalis): Perennial. Grows to 2 feet tall and as wide.
Sun. Limited water.

Sage's wooly gray leaves are gorgeous. And they come in purple, green
and gold as well as tricolor (purple, white and green). The plain
green one is the typical culinary sage and the hardiest. Sage has no
trouble with winter in my Auburn garden (elevation 1,250 feet). It
sends up spires of blue flowers in summer that are beautiful in
arrangements.

Cut it back every spring to encourage new growth. However, sage tends
to get quite woody after a few years, much like lavender, and needs to
be replaced every three or four years.

***

Odd, my sage is in its' tenth year. Last fall I dumped some chicke
manure in to is' pot and this year it is three feet high and four feet
wide. It looks like a stop action frame from an explosion. Feeling
guilty, I need to find a good home for it.
--

Billy