Old 13-05-2008, 05:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Katey Didd Katey Didd is offline

Default Squash vine borers

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Katey Didd wrote:
Thanks. I have one of those huge needles. Like I said. I'll try the
suggestion of a tinfoil collar, egg hunting, Sevin dust etc on the
stem. If the problem still occurs I'll give up on squash. I hunt
the seed racks here and they just have the common varieties. We spend
so much money on the gardens already I fear my husband will object to
buying seeds from catalogs or online. The prices are always so much
higher. Retired, we're on a limited income now.

You might try Spaghetti Squash then. They run like pumpkins, so they
should send down roots at each node (if they do get a borer, they still
have enough roots that it doesn't matter)

We grew them one year and no one liked them. No one ate them.

Bob