Old 13-05-2008, 07:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
PDM PDM is offline

Default New to growing veg, any advice please?

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"PDM" pdcm99minus this wrote:

"Jemmy" wrote in message

Hi,

I am very new to all of this so could do with some advice please

Last weekend I bought a small plastic type greenhouse and in trays I
have planted pepper, tomatoe & cucumber seeds. What would be the best
feed for these and how often should I be feeding them? should i keep
the door open during the daytime? What happens once they start growing
do I need to transfer them into bigger tubs? See I told you I was new
to this;-)

I assume you have bought one of the very small greenhouses about 3 feet x
2
feet x 4 feet high. If so then you need to open it up before the sun hits
it. These small houses heat up very rapidly and can kill your plants very
quickly. The humidity is also very high and this will also cause sever
problems so making it issential to ventilate. I used one of these things
for
two years. Everything I grew in them died. I eventually left the thing
open
all the time and compared it will tomatoes I grew outside in pots right
next
to it. The outside grown tomatoes ripened first. I threw it away and got
proper house.

I have also dug out a part of the garden and planted carrot, swede &
spring onion seeds. How often should I feed them and what with? Do I
have to move them once they start growing or just leave them be?

Buy a good vegetable gardening book. There are plenty out there on the
net.

PDM

It's a poor gardener that blames his tools. Work with your green house
and decide what it can and cannot do. I presume you didn't buy a
commercial greenhouse because of monetary constraints (lot of that goin'
round these days).

This was bought before I knew any better when I just started growing veg. I
learned very quickly. I now use two greenhouses 6' x 4' and 8' x 6' and have
access to a 20' x 8'. The very small greenhouses are a waste of money as
they are too difficult to manage. I'm talking abut heating up to 30c from 8c
in a matter of minutes once the sun hits the things. They might actually
work if there was any top ventilation. I know many others at my allotment
who have bought these things and thrown them out after a season. They are
useless. The smallest house I recommend is 6' x 4' with top ventilation.

PDM.