Old 13-05-2008, 09:45 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,rec.gardens,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.irish
Culchie Aspirant Culchie Aspirant is offline

Default Lack Of Trees In Irish And British Countrysides

On Mon, 12 May 2008 08:00:58 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Someone else wrote:
On Sun, 11 May 2008 05:41:49 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Someone else wrote:
On Sat, 10 May 2008 11:40:29 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Hal Ó Mearadhaigh. wrote:

Hal Ó Mearadhaigh. wrote:
Someone else wrote:
On Fri, 09 May 2008 22:35:45 +0000 (GMT), jl

wrote:
In article ,
Hal Ó Mearadhaigh. wrote:
Someone else wrote:
On Thu, 8 May 2008 16:57:04 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be
given wrote:

For those who think that Ireland never had significant forest
cover please see:

www.lhi.org.uk/docs/History_Project_1.pdf

"The first wave of colonisation was by birch, aspen and
sallow.
About 8 500 BC. pine and hazel spread northwards, replacing
the
birch, which became uncommon. The pine colonisation was
followed
by a wave of oak and alder. Lime and elm followed this, then
holly, ash, beech, hornbeam and maple."

Ireland's population grew to around 8 million. But that had
little to do with the state of the forests. Disease and over
harvesting of trees were the main causes of the
deforestation.

Who was it that was responsible for that overharvesting?

NOT the British, who always had plenty of forests of their own,
but
also imported any woods for ship building mostly from
Scandinavia.

As Ireland had no coal, the needs of 8 million people for
charcoal and cooking woulkd certainly damage the forests.
Peat
was available of course - but only after the forests had made
room for it.

No, it was always available...

Peat bogs? of course. But they were also forested.

If local attitudes to trees were the same then as now, it is
surprising that any trees survived at all.

"That tree will knock that wall down - cut it down".

I've heard that sentence so often, it makes me sick.

Manufacturing, farming, and the
monies being made out of harvesting the peat bogs were main
causes. (Alas Bord Na Mona, so much for greed). Blaming the
British, (English) is merely being paranoid and specious.

Not if it actually was the British that cut down the Irish
forests to build the fleet that fought the Spanish Armada.

Nonsense! : See
http://fubini.swarthmore.edu/~ENVS2/...restation.html

At that reference it says:

"Those who traveled across Ireland at this time reported that one
could ride all day and not see a single tree, an image that
contrasts
sharply with the carpet of trees that covered the area only
centuries
before (Brown, Terry)."

Brown, Terry. "Wood in Development of Civilization."
[http://www.cof.orst.edu/cof/teach/fo...velopment.pdf]

Which supports my allegation that Ireland was rapidly deforested
during the time that Britain invaded and occupied.

Game, set and match Mr Merrick.

I made that same comment

No you didn't.

and you told me to "reread what I had posted". Are you by any
chance a loon?

You're the one claiming to have made certain specific comments when
you did not...nowhere did you say, "Game, set and match Mr Merrick"
or
even, more charitably, "Game, set and match"

rimshot

plonk

I see that as an admission of defeat.