Old 13-05-2008, 12:29 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,rec.gardens,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.irish
Salahoona Salahoona is offline

Default Lack Of Trees In Irish And British Countrysides

On May 12, 7:39 am, Salahoona wrote:
On May 11, 5:26 am, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Salahoona" wrote in message

If you

use Eucl. Viminalis; plant them only a foot apart and in a group. They
will support each other in the wind (groups of two metres diameter)
and when the trunks are about eight inches wide they can be harvested.
Paint the cut on the living trunks with oil and they will sprout
again:

I can't think of a eucalypt that doesn't resprout if the trunk is cut right
off . I don't think there is really any need to paint with oil.

Sure. But I have other trees and use a mixture of linseed oil with a
cheap tin of rooting compound mixed in. I do the same even for osier
willow. I'd rather make sure that no disease gets a foot hold and it
is my nature to be gentle and kind with plants.

I do have a plum tree where the leaves get full of holes in an area
where lots of sloe grow. I'd rather destroy a plant which needs
insecticide to live.

PS. I think I said that I used Spartium Juncium or Spanish Broom
together with Tree lupin as a wind brake. I do but to make it clear -
where the combo faces storms, the Broom is in front, backed by a very
sturdy fence with the Lupin behind the fence. Elsewhere, the fence
isn't needed. The combination is so effective that in some parts it is
calm even in a gale. Tree Lupin lives for about five years only +/-

Donal