Old 13-05-2008, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default raised beds and what to use for edging?

"Davy" wrote in message
09.145...
herbgarden wrote in
:

Hi all,

I've tried to read the FAQ's before posting but all

the ones I tried
returned a page not found?

So... We have a large untouched for years garden that

we want to
gradually reclaim by fencing off a bit at a time (to

keep the
neighbour out!) and we'd like to put in raised beds.

BUT ... what
sort of stuff do you use for an organic garden?

Plastic (listening to
the news about babies bottles today none to keen on

that one)or
treated wood, or untreated wood?

Sue.
Who is confused and liable to remain so for some

considerable time as
she tackles one garden issue after another.

I have built two beds 5.5m x 1m using gravel boards.
They are cheap and should last at least 10 years in
contact with soil. I stacked two together to give a bed
30cm high. Because they are only 25mm thick they need
50mm x 50mm vertical battens every metre and 75mm square
corner pieces.
Our local building supply company sells them in 5.4m
lengths

Very pleased with them

I went even cheaper & got some old dumper scaffold/painters planks from a
scaffold business for my polytunnel raised garden. Decent 8 & 10 inch
planks. I simple knocked a couple of 100 mil nails in the end of each to
join them together. They'll last a few years & cost me nix.

rob