Old 13-05-2008, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Another spider Q

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
On May 12, 9:47 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
OK, I know they have their place in the garden, but I have more than my
fair
share!! I have a cane by my front door to wave like a madman, in front of
me
each morning to avoid a faceful of webs and their occupants. My pergola
is
covered in webs........they run from walls to any garden
plant................ggggrrrrrr. I don't want to exterminate them, but
I'd
love to discourage at least some of them. Any ideas??
Thanks from a web haired....
--
Pete C
London UK

Just swat away the webs from where you do not like them if they are in
your way. They are harmless and highly beneficial in the garden (eat
lots of insects and get eaten by birds) and I do not know of any way
to deter them other than moving to an apartment without a garden.

Des

You get spiders (and their webs) everywhere there are insects.

Mary