Old 13-05-2008, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Fuschia Fuschia is offline

Default Another spider Q

On Tue, 13 May 2008 04:00:31 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I remember going to a stately home, with large gardens, one September
and it was not until I had walked around the herbaceous borders for
about fifteen minutes thinking "there is something not quite right
here", when I realised what it was.

There was not a single spiders' web across any of the plants,
anywhere. Nor did there seem to be any insects.

I spent another ten minutes walking around before leaving, as it made
me feel so sad that some form of insecticide must have been used to
kill anything that moved on the flowers, and had either killed the
spiders directly or as a result of them having no food.

Some peoples' obsession with the 'tidy garden' ideal does seem to be
so destructive, despite the fact that many chemicals were made illegal
for horticultural use some years ago.

The OP should try and be happy that they still have garden spiders,
and brushing away webs each morning is a small price to pay.

I do so agree with you. A garden sterilised of wildlife is a sad,
unreal and ultimately disappointing creation.
I'm not a totally organic gardener (I use glyphosate for instance, and
soap solution on vegetables). But my garden is full of insects and
birds that keep each other in balance, and I wouldn't want it any
other way.