Old 13-05-2008, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Raymond RUSSELL Raymond RUSSELL is offline

Default Mower recommendations

Hello all

After 17 years of faithful service in fairly hard conditions
my old Toro 2-stroke no-frills push mower is beginning
to wheeze and croak and will soon be no more.
I would be very grateful for recommendations for its successor.

Lawn is too fine a word to describe the job it will have to do.
It's a fairly bumpy, hardy orchard, about 1200 square meters.
And the grass is so mixed that while some areas stay short and tufty
others would provide welcome grazing for a few elephants.
I had considered a small bar-scythe machine but I want a tidier finish than
that.
And anyway that would be too expensive. I can go up to about GBP 600.

I am also thinking about a 4-stroke (to reduce noise) - but am still unsure;
I must admit, I prefer regular fuel mixing to yearly oil changes.

I would much prefer mulching - dedicated rather than an add-on
after-thought.
With the old Toro I have always sharpened the blade myself;
running into mole-hills made this necessary every few months.
can one still do this with mulching mowers.

I am also thinking about propelled
- but I need to manoeuvre a lot around the fruit trees etc.
The old Toro cutting width is 48cm, I think, and I wouldn't want much wider
- again for reasons of manoeuvrability.

Any suggestions ?

Best regards and thanks in advance from Ray