Old 13-05-2008, 02:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
tenman tenman is offline

Default Trichopilia Evaline

Ray B wrote:
Very nice, Tennis.

In trichopilias, what constitutes "relatively small"?

Two answers:

First, I think most trichopilias are 'relatively small'. This one tops
out at ten inches, with a flower almost 5 inches. The couple of largest
trichos can get to 15-16 inches, occasionally but rarely a bit taller.

Second, within trichopilia, 'relatively small' is a much smaller playing
field than orchids at large (compared to, say, 1.my Sharry Baby now in
spike, plant over 2 feet tall, spike at 40"and still growing, or
2.Lc.Schilleriana now in flower, a 21" tall plant with flowers about the
same size as Evaline, or 3.Lc.ChitChat 'Tangerine, now in flower at 22"
tall, or 4.my phals which at first seem to be small plants but now have
tall flower spikes up to 38" in height/length). Maculata is seldom over
4" high, and the tortilis pictured with the Evaline barely hits 5" in
height, with a flower about the same size.