Old 14-05-2008, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jan Flora Jan Flora is offline

Default taxes and the best place to vegetable garden?

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"tstovall" wrote:

I'm wondering where to retire. It would have to be in a location where
housing prices are not outa this world, like San Diego, etc. But I also
want
a place that I can grow wonderful vegetables most of the year. Even if that
means in a northern state with season extensions and a greenhouse. Or the
deep south. or, what's your thoughts on climate and taxes!!!? Don't vege's
taste better with less taxes?
~tom

Texas has no state income tax, property and housing are lower in many
areas than in California, and South and South Central have loooong
growing seasons.

You also have ticks, chiggers, rattlesnakes, fire ants, tarantulas,
scorpions, cactus and the Texas State Legislature. OTOH, you have great
food and some of the best musicians in the world. And you had Ann
Richards and Molly Ivins, both godesses.

Have you read the poem called "Hell in Texas"? It's about the devil
looking for a place for a hell. He visited Texas and said it's too dry
for a hell. I think Don Edwards (a Texan) recorded it as a song.

Picking on Texas gives us a great deal of pleasure, because my FIL and
most of the other homesteaders out here all came from Texas. All of
their kids speak with West Texas accents, even though none of them have
ever set foot in that great state.

Jan