Old 14-05-2008, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Advice please

On 14/5/08 11:31, in article , "Tonz"
wrote:

Has anyone else had or got Echium Fastuosum candicans' Pride of Madeira'
Any advice on planting and looking after in first few months , any advice
welcome
Thanks in advance

They're not frost hardy and they need good drainage and a fair amount of
sun. Having said the latter, we have got some E.piniana through this winter
by planting them in a sloping bit of the garden and where trees give a bit
of frost protection, together with the wall of a building. In the right
conditions as to climate, they grow on sandy tracks and out of stony walls!
When we've tried them in the past, they were in a different part of the
garden and they've got too wet in winter and have rotted and/or been too
exposed to rain and cold winds and haven't flowered before summer's end, so
we had no seedlings from them.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk