Old 14-05-2008, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Aphids on broad beans

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
On May 14, 10:20 am, Sacha wrote:
On 14/5/08 03:04, in article , "Frank Booth

Snr" wrote:
Adam wrote:

Hi Everyone

I have some broad beans in my garden at the moment that seem to be
growing healthily enough, but they are covered in black aphids and
ants.
Should I be worried about this? If it's a problem, what can I do about
it, given that I am doing my very best to garden organically?

Collect some fag ends, remove the paper and boil tobacco in water. Then
spray the nicotine solution on the aphids. Remember to wash off the
solution before eating.

And don't go near tomatoes. ;-)

Nor should you if you're a smoker, I was told some time back...
Is there really a chance that you would potentially contaminate the
tomatoes with tobacco viruses, or is it balderdash?

What are the symptoms of balderdash and is there a treatment?

Mary

Cat(h)