Old 14-05-2008, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wasps and Bees

On May 12, 2:40 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"John Rye" wrote in message

Hello All

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

SNIP

Also found what looked like 2 honey bees in the kitchen this morning but
they may have flown in during yesterday through an open window.

Just to mention another possibility. In the past week we have had 10 bees
appear in our kitchen, but we know where they came from. For years now I
have
had leaf cutting bees visiting my greenhouse, and making their "nests" in
my
pots of cacti. They are a bit of a nuisance, but I find that I can live
and
let live. At thr moment some of my cacti are covered with flower, so I
moved
2 pots to the kitchen window cill where we could enjoy the flowers. One of
the pots had been used by the bees, and during the week 10 hatched out.

IOt's more likely that the '2 honey bees' were solitary bees of some kind.
They're no danger, they can't sting and their life cycles are fascinating.

Mary

I have had several bumble bees in the sitting room. We have a log
burner and I wonder if they come in on the logs as there were 2
crawling round on the barn floor where the wood is stored?

I've come in from the garden as there is a gale blowing from the
South, beautiful sunshine but almost impossible to work in it, it was
not predicted, slight winds I think was the forecast!!!

Judith