Old 14-05-2008, 11:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default Help with "Moonflowers"

I always soak Moon Flower seeds overnight before planting. I've heard that
nicking the seed also helps but those suckers are so hard and slick, when I
tried this I just about lost a hunk of meat from my thumb. I have excellent
luck just soaking them. My Moon Flowers are just now coming up. I'll put
them out the first weekend in June. I've found that if the soil or nights
are too cold when I plant them out they just sit and do nothing or wither
away.

Why don't you dig a seed out of one of the pots and see if they are
sprouting. If they haven't done anything I'd pull them out of the soil, soak
them for a day and replant them. What have you got to loose?

Val

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
'allo,

I am in St. Louis, MO, USA.

Last season I managed to grow some nice Ipomea Alba ("Moonflower vine")
in the summer months. Saved lots of seeds.

Also managed to transplant a Datura Inoxia ("Moonflower bush") from a
neighbors yead. It was in intensive care for about 10 days but finally
took hold. Saved lots of seeds.

That notwithstanding, I've got a near-black thumb: am not at all
handy and well-versed in growing plants.

I put some potting soil in plantable pots, add seeds from last season,
water and fertilize for 10 days and ... Voila ... Nothing, Nada, and
Zilch.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Puddin'

" ... and the bees made honey in the lion's head."
- from "If I Had My Way", Blind Willie Johnson