Old 14-05-2008, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
SteveB[_6_] SteveB[_6_] is offline

Default Groundhogs

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"General Schvantzkopf" wrote in message
. ..
I caught one last night in my live trap, he's been relocated to a
nice piece of conservation land in another town. I've reset the
trap
just in case there are more of them. Does anyone know how large
their colonies are?

I have heard in the thousands. Even heard of cases where pickups
and
barns have disappeared when they made enough tunnels underneath.

I believe you are confusing groundhogs with prairie dogs. You're
unlikely to find more than a half dozen or so groundhogs in one
burrow. Note that around this time of the year the females will be
giving birth, so if you trap and relocate the mother, you may be
killing the young in the burrow.

--John

I distinctly remember seeing it in a movie, so it must be true. As
for killing all the rodents in that burrow, isn't that the point?

Some people don't like killing things, even rodents, others don't
mind, others enjoy it. I have no idea where the OP falls on that
spectrum. Given that he's relocated one already my guess is that he'd
rather not kill them if he could avoid it.

--John

I see. Perhaps if the OP would just go to the groundhog and talk to it, it
would be reasonable.

Steve