Old 14-05-2008, 10:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko Srgnt Billko is offline

Default Ride-on problem

"Clark..." wrote in message
Srgnt Billko wrote:
wrote in message
I just bought a new John Deere Ride on mower (24 hp) and I can't get
it started. I attached the battery cables (light turns on okay),
checked the charge (greater than 80%), pushed in the rod at the back,
pushed the park brake up into locked position (I'm assuming it's just
moving that round lever up to engage the park brake...the directions
aren't clear on that), push up the throttle and choke to max, made
sure the yellow engagement button was down, added a gallon of fresh
gas and checked the oil then turned the key.

And nothing.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? (Can't get anyone at Home Depot today
who knows how to operate one....grrr).

Thanks!

Off the top - sounds like a "safety switch". Are you sitting on the
seat and does the seat lower enough to flip the switch ? What's the
"yellow engagement button" ? You want to start the engine with the
blades DISengaged.

Maybe he does not weigh enough to activate the seat safety switch, I would
suggest he place a cinder block on his lap as he sits in the seat, whilst
starting and mowing.. ;-)
Clark...
--

It's not "Walk softly and carry a big BLOCK" - it's "Walk softly and carry a
big STICK". You should know that chuckle