Old 14-05-2008, 11:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Clark... Clark... is offline

Default Ride-on problem

Srgnt Billko wrote:
"Clark..." wrote in message
Srgnt Billko wrote:
wrote in message
I just bought a new John Deere Ride on mower (24 hp) and I can't
get it started. I attached the battery cables (light turns on
okay), checked the charge (greater than 80%), pushed in the rod at
the back, pushed the park brake up into locked position (I'm
assuming it's just moving that round lever up to engage the park
brake...the directions aren't clear on that), push up the throttle
and choke to max, made sure the yellow engagement button was down,
added a gallon of fresh gas and checked the oil then turned the
key. And nothing.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? (Can't get anyone at Home Depot
today who knows how to operate one....grrr).

Thanks!

Off the top - sounds like a "safety switch". Are you sitting on the
seat and does the seat lower enough to flip the switch ? What's the
"yellow engagement button" ? You want to start the engine with the
blades DISengaged.

Maybe he does not weigh enough to activate the seat safety switch, I
would suggest he place a cinder block on his lap as he sits in the
seat, whilst starting and mowing.. ;-)
Clark...
--

It's not "Walk softly and carry a big BLOCK" - it's "Walk softly and
carry a big STICK". You should know that chuckle

As I recall the stick looked like this...

/\

,-+' /:
,-++++
++/ ;

Clark...
--
Don't you have Google in your part of the world?