Old 15-05-2008, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Puddin' Man Puddin' Man is offline

Default Help with "Moonflowers"

On Wed, 14 May 2008 18:48:06 -0500, Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Puddin' Man said:

'allo,

I am in St. Louis, MO, USA.

I'm 50 miles west of downtown. =)

Aha. Familiar with my climate.

Last season I managed to grow some nice Ipomea Alba ("Moonflower vine")
in the summer months. Saved lots of seeds.

Also managed to transplant a Datura Inoxia ("Moonflower bush") from a
neighbors yead. It was in intensive care for about 10 days but finally
took hold. Saved lots of seeds.

That notwithstanding, I've got a near-black thumb: am not at all
handy and well-versed in growing plants.

I put some potting soil in plantable pots, add seeds from last season,
water and fertilize for 10 days and ... Voila ... Nothing, Nada, and Zilch.

Any ideas?

Yes. Ipomoea alba seeds won't germinate until the /average/ temp is around
70F. We're way behind the average temp for this time of year.

And it's been massively variable, huge swings.

Are you starting them indoors?

Yes.

They'll need plenty of sunshine (which has
also been quite lacking this year).

I figured if they'd sprout, I'd put them in a sunny spot
outside on the nicer days.

Maybe I'm just too early.

And, skip the fertilizer until they're being transplanted.

OK.

Thanks,

" ... and the bees made honey in the lion's head."
- from "If I Had My Way", Blind Willie Johnson