Old 15-05-2008, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm adm is offline

Default Flamegun weedkiller - Sheen X300

On 2008-05-14 21:53:21 +0100, "Dave Liquorice"
said:

On Wed, 14 May 2008 17:24:30 +0100, adm wrote:

Now - if my heating oil is basically jet fuel I wonder if I can run my
diesel car on it......it's about a third of the price of diesel.

Kero is a bit light and volatile for a diesel but yes it will run on it.
May well shorten engine life as it will be going BANG a bit earlier and
with more UMPH. Having said that the engine management systems might be
able to cope and reduce the fueling and adjusting the timing of injection
depending on how sophisticated the engine is. Of course using heating oil
on the road is illegal and it now has yellow and hidden tracers in it.

Veg oil how ever *is* legal up to 2,500l per rolling year without telling
HMR&C (I'd still keep accurate records though). Veg oil can knacker rubber
(or is it synthetic rubber?) parts of the fuel system and also has a
strong cleaning effect. So when running on veg oil or a mix veg oil/diesel
keep a fuel filter handy at least to begin with and change it after the
first couple of thousand miles anyway.

Running on Straight Veg Oil (SVO) can produce starting problems
particulary if it's cold but most people who use veg oil seem to run a
50:50 SVO/diesel mix without problems. But take note of the effects veg
oil can have on parts of the fuel system, do some research before bunging
20l of SVO from the cash 'n carry into your fuel tank...

I was really joking on the heating oil comment - and as it's a very
expensive high end new German diesel engine with only around 1,200
miles on it, I'll probably not be putting any veg oil in yet!

Thanks for the info though.