Old 15-05-2008, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default taxes and the best place to vegetable garden?

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html

I tend to disagree with the map a bit in the area around Austin.
Generally
speaking, its a bit cooler to the west in the hill country proper than
Austin itself during worst of winter.

I agree. It varies a LOT due to changes in altitude.

Hill country proper, unless you're lucky enough to be in some bottom
land,
you have to have raised beds. Or have the soil brought in. West of
IH35,
may be lucky to have some locally usable soil of appreciable depth.

Yeah, but you are safer from Tornadoes than if you lived EAST of IH35!

Water availability is always a problem in the summer in a typical year.

Yes and no. It's what makes raised bed and container gardening more
attractive tho'. I've considered (eventually) checking out hydroponics.

Texas has a 8.25% sales tax except for most foods. They tax vegetable
juice, but not potato chips. I don't know why either. All restaurant
foods
are taxed same rate. Locally prepared bakery products are not taxed.

Property taxes vary by county AND local school districts within that
county.

BIG TIME!

Looking at last year's tax bill, the school district's portion is the
biggest bite in taxes. I live in Hays county, in the Wimberley area
subject
to WISD taxation. Well over 2% assessed value is tax rate. Austin is in
Travis county. Seniors get a property tax break at age 65 state-wide.

Got some decent rain today, with minor hail.
--
Dave

I live in Hays county also, and in the suburbs within city limits. My
lot with the house is .22 acres. The house (including the sun room/porch
we added, it's insulated and AC'd) is 1,450 square ft.

Tax bill this year is estimated at $1,670. Just got the tax statement
yesterday, but the actual tax is usually $50.00 to $100.00 less.

I just have a set amount of money deducted from savings into checking
monthly, (BOA will set up the auto-debit) to pay for property tax and
home owners insurance annually. That also acts as my overdraft
protection.

Taxes in and near to San Antonio are MUCH higher, as is Austin.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein

Property taxes are based on: value of your property per the county tax
assessor, not the size of the lot or the square footage of the home. Yes,
both play in determining that. So does the prevailing values of the
properties in your vicinity. The tax percentage times the estimated
property value equals the annual tax burden. I think you will find that if
you can find an equally valued home/property in Austin/San Antonio, there
would be little difference in the tax burden depending on the school
district.

I physically go to the local bank and have them transfer my checking account
monies to my savings account every month for property taxes and annual auto
insurance premium. When either come due, I transfer the monies back and
write the appropriate check. I used to do the transfer at the bank's ATM.
But, I ran into something unusual that the bank clerk and customer service
could not explain. They said the bank would hold funds if my total debits
exceeded 1000 dollars. Together with my transfer and debits, it did exceed
that. They said an internal transfer electronically from the bank ATM to my
savings account should not be a factor. They could not explain it. My
debit card was refused that day at the local dollar store for 9 bucks worth
of dog food. Even though my checking account had over 2000 dollars in it.
So, the bank personnel said to come in the bank and let them do the checking
to savings transfer.
--
Dave

Parkinson's disease, not easy to define.
Much less cure.