Old 15-05-2008, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flower Buds Dropped Off Wisteria

In article ,
says...
Hi,

I have a "Schiro Kapitan Fuji" growing up my pergola. Its been planted
3 years was pruned last Autumn and spring. This year was its first year
with flower buds. One on one stem and four others came later on another
stem, so I was looking forwards to seeing my first flowers. About
three weeks ago when the first bud was about 30mm long it started to
fall apart. Two days ago I had another look and it has gone completely!
I then looked at the others (20mm long) and they have also done the same.

Is there a problem with this type or could this be normal at the
beginning of its flowering life?

Any other likely causes (its now putting on quite a bit of growth and
looks quite healthy)?

Thanks

Blame the sharp frost the first week of April, most Cornish Wisterias not
close to a wall were completely stripped of flowers, what you have
described is classic frost damage and the reason that planting on west or
south walls is given (although sometimes planting in a cold place can
delay flowering past the danger time)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk