Old 15-05-2008, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek[_4_] Derek[_4_] is offline

Default lawnmower problem

"teapot" wrote in message
I have a Sovereign Classic 35 lawnmower with a Briggs and Stratton
engine. While cutting the grass last week the engine started to
stutter and finally died on me. First thing I checked was the fuel and
oil levels which seemed to be ok, then the spark plug which was also
ok. Next thing checked was the air filter followed by making sure that
the fuel jet beneath it wasn't blocked. Again, all seemed to be in
order. Getting desperate, I decided to take off the cylinder head and
give both it and the valve seats a good clean up (which they sure
needed!). During the rebuild I made up a new head gasket using the old
one as a template. All this has achieved SFA. I suspect that the
fault is fuel supply related - possibly those two rather flimsy
looking springs under the air filter which operate the butterfly
valve.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Not done my trick and topped up with the fuel for the chainsaw (2 stroke)?
Check if you are getting a good spark at the plug if it had but still not
firing it may still be worth changing the plug. its not unknown for them to
get tracking.Usually tho when I suspect a plug I pop it on the gas ring for
5 minutes to cook out any hidden fouling obviously if you want to fit it
while still hot ( I do) wear thick gloves!.
Derek