Old 15-05-2008, 10:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default How are you getting at your lawn tractor blade?

Mac Cool said:

Eggs Zachtly:

If you sharpen the blade without removing it, how are you going to
possibly keep it balanced?

The old fashioned way, I count strokes. Not high tech or perfect but it
works. If it gets too dull or dinged up I take it down to the mower shop
where they sharpen and balance it for a couple of dollars.

Got ya. That works, to a degree. You're still going to be left with more
material on one side, than the other. Plus, leaving the blade in place
doesn't really give you enough room (or the proper angle) to properly put
an edge on the blade, IMO. Clamping it in a vise is safer and allows better
access to the edges.

You could also spend a couple dollars once, purchase a blade balancer (Ace
Hardware has one for about $5) and do it correctly, yourself. =) A
perfectly balanced blade is much easier on the spindle (and on up the
"drivetrain"). You'll also get a more even cut.

*shrugs* I'm just sayin... =)
--

Eggs

One nice thing about egotists... they don't talk about other people.