Old 15-05-2008, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Identification please - if possible

On May 15, 10:13 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 15/5/08 19:27, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
We went out to supper last night and parked in a town square. There
was a tree, about the size of a mature Acacia with the most beautiful
pale lavender coloured flowers, the smell was exotic. I could see
some seeds on the tree which looked like nuts, I couldn't reach the
lower branches to pick one to try and grow it on so I threw some
pebbles but missed every time. I brought a flower home that has
fallen on the ground and Edward took a pic, can anyone identify it.
It is on on my hand so that you can get an idea of scale. I will post
this in another group also.
http://i29.tinypic.com/35hpgcn.jpg

Judith

Paulownia tomentosa, Judith - I'm pretty sure. It's aka the foxglove tree.
It sets buds in winter. I sent some seeds to a previous urgler in Normandy
and she grew so many that she swapped them for a load of plants with her
local nursery.
Was it without leaves at the moment because Paulownias flower on bare
stems/trunks?
Someone told Ray that they're grown as street trees in Moscow but mainly for
the leaves because, if they're stooled, they produce enormous and attractive
leaves in climates where they wouldn't produce flowers. I *think* I'm
correct in saying that in some parts of USA they're grown as a crop for
their wood.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

I've Googled it - yes, that is exactly what it is, thank you and
Jeff. Now, short of taking a stepladder there, how can I get some
seeds?

Judith