Old 16-05-2008, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Glyphosate

stuart noble wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

A trace of clay and the soil will lock up and deactivate the
glyphosate. The molecules persist for a while but they cannot do
anything.

So, do you reckon injection by syringe is an effective delivery method
for glyphosphates? I'm thinking particularly of borage where I could lop
off the top of the plant and inject into the main stem as I go. This
would presumably not deliver much volume of liquid but at least it would
be accurately placed. The roots are about a foot long so digging out
isn't really an option.

I wouldn't recommend messing about with syringes and injecting it into
plants. I think it has been tried for Japanese knotweed (hollow stems)
but is no longer recommended (which I take to mean it didn't work well
enough to be worth the effort).

Glyphosate is sufficiently lethal to green plants in growth that a spray
head adjusted to give a small jet can be accurately used. Failing that a
small paint brush. And if you hit something as collateral damage prune
the affected bit off immediately.

You seem to get a better translocation kill of bad weeds with extended
root systems if the weedkiller is slightly over diluted (by 10-20% which
makes it go further as well). For some reason buttercup seems to
tolerate it better than most plants.

Regards,
Martin Brown