Old 16-05-2008, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Best place to buy ladybugs

In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
The Cook wrote:

On Fri, 16 May 2008 06:36:15 -0700 (PDT), Sam
wrote:

I would like some ladybugs for my SMALL garden. 9foot by 5 foot. I
have ants, so I assume aphids. Where is the best place online to by a
small qty of them.

Any tips for keeping them around?

Careful. I don't know the whole story, but someone brought in
ladybugs into this area a few years ago. Now they are everywhere and
do like to come in when the weather cools.

But I'll bet you have few garden pests! g They eat aphids, scale,
mealy bug and other things. Another good predator are lacewing larvae.
I got rid of a persistant scale infection on the succulents in my
greehouse using those...

I remember my ex-husband releasing them in our large vegetable garden years
ago. At least 90% were gone the next day. A few days later we didn't find
any. Same thing with praying mantis he bought. We never ordered any more
beneficials.

How wet do you keep the yard?

I'm sorry you had bad luck. It worked very well for me!

I did, however, have a similar experince with a mantis casing. I found
a few the next year but the trouble with those is that they are
cannibals.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein