Old 16-05-2008, 04:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray B Ray B is offline

Default What Causes Low Germination Rates?

Seems to me there are two questions the is it "low germination rate of
viable seed", or "low percentage of viable seed in the capsule"?

The former is probably medium related, while the latter would be parental in
nature.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 May 2008 07:23:01 -0700, "K Barrett"
wrote in :

I have no answers. Anyone else?

K Barrett

Thank you for your response.

Does Aaron Hicks still frequent this newsgroup?

It seems to be sort of quiet compared to what it used to be.

{laff} Heck, have you seen the OGD? Its nothing but newsfeed from some
guy in Canada. Used to be a great resource. But, that said, one only gets
the forum one participates in.

I know the old hybridizers used to wipe the stigmatic surface with orange
juice in order to increase germination rates. Something about the acid
increasing 'take'.

I know the more complex the hybrid the lower the germination rate.

I know there's a difference in yeild when crossing a complex hybrid and a
species. But I can't rememebr if you get higher yeild if the species
carrys the pod or the complex does....

As to medium, all I vaguely remember is that some genera require different
nutrients in the medium than others, but not that the medium could somehow
influence the outcome of a cross. It will be interesting to see if Aaron
picks up on this discussion. He does still look in occasionally.

Again, sorry to be of no help.

K Barrett
(OrchidSafari had a series of 3 chats on hybridizing, one of which was
published in the Orchid Digest magazine. Not all links work in the 3rd
one, but you may find something there... who knows?, even a blind squirrel
gets a nut.) http://www.orchidsafari.org/