Old 16-05-2008, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Identification please - if possible

On 16/5/08 12:45, in article ,
"echinosum" wrote:

Judith in France;791999 Wrote:
Now, short of taking a stepladder there, how can I get some seeds?

Plants and seeds are widely available, you shouldn't have a problem.
Not so rare. But be aware that they are fast-growing, wide-spreading
trees, so need a lot of room. They also create a lot of shade. And the
flowers are held high up, so it is best to plant it somewhere where you
will have a good view of it from a location higher than where it is
planted. I used to have one outside my 1st-storey window when I was a
student in Oxford.

To this I would just add that if you keep it stooled, it produces enormous
and eye catching leaves but doesn't flower.
I'm interested that you call it wide-spreading. Ours is about 9 years old
and is probably about 15' but it's not particularly spreading.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk