Old 16-05-2008, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Glyphosate

In article ,
stuart noble writes:

| Thanks for the positive ID. If I thought it would behave itself in a
| lawn, I might leave it alone, but I'm beginning to wonder if the
| antiseptic properties might actually deter other plants. It certainly
| looks that way

Ramsons has broad leaves - the others that I know of have narrow ones,
but it doesn't make a lot of difference to their properties. Many of
them are invasive, and all are attractive and (I believe) edible.

If it is ramsons or some of the others (or bluebells!), the primary
way they discourage grass and other plants is by producing a solid
mass of leaves and/or bulbs/roots - so they remove all light, water
etc. I don't think that any of them will survive repeated mowing,
or invade into a regularly mown area. But that does mean during most
of their growing season.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.