Old 16-05-2008, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Glyphosate

In message , stuart noble
writes
Sacha wrote:
On 16/5/08 12:06, in article , "stuart
noble" wrote:

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
stuart noble writes:

| That just leaves the onion weed, which is occupying the shady side of
| what should be the lawn. The grass stops where the weed starts, so I
| guess it's preventing the grass from growing. Any advice on that front?

Onion weed? I think that we need a bit more information :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Looks like a white bluebell and smells strongly when crushed. Allium
triquetum I think.
As I said, I'm working from memory here. Very frustrating :-)

Aka Ransoms or wild garlic. Dig it up or spray it seems to be the
only way.
I rather like it so when I had it in a previous garden, I always kept some
of it. But it absolutely fills the verges of some of the lanes round here.

Thanks for the positive ID. If I thought it would behave itself in a
lawn, I might leave it alone, but I'm beginning to wonder if the
antiseptic properties might actually deter other plants. It certainly
looks that way

Allium triquetum and Ramsoms (Allium ursinum) are not the same thing.
Neither looks like a bluebell to my eyes, but (pictures of) Allium
triquetum looks closer. (I've only seem the latter in the phloem.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://florulaprima.blogspot.com